- MeAIMH 2019 Conference
May 10, 2019
8:15 am - 4:00 pm
MeAIMH Annual Training Conference
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN
For our 32nd Annual Conference
May 10, 2019 8:15 AM – 4:00 PM
Hilton Garden Inn Freeport Downtown
5 Park St., Freeport, Maine
Featuring: Michael Trout, MA
The Infant-Parent Institute, Urbana, IL
In the mental health field since 1968 and in private practice since 1979, Michael Trout directs The Infant-Parent Institute, which is engaged in research, clinical practice and clinical training related to problems of attachment. Mr. Trout is the author of two books, Baby Verses: The Narrative Poetry of Infants and Toddlers and the forthcoming This Hallowed Ground: Four Decades in Infant Mental Health and co-author of two books, The Jonathan Letters and See Me As A Person. In addition, he has published a number of book chapters and journal articles and has produced 16 documentary films that are in use in universities and clinics around the world.
In 1984, Mr. Trout won the Selma Fraiberg Award for “significant contributions to the needs of infants and their families,” and a Lifetime Achievement Award given by ATTACh, “for his decades of work with children of loss and trauma.” Mr. Trout notes that “the most important part of his work was always in the quiet private practice where he saw families and children of all ages every week. After 46 years, he retired in the summer of 2014. He continues to be active in the field, conducting efficacy research in infant mental health, teaching, and writing.
MeAIMH Annual Training Conference Overview
Is mindfulness a strategy, or a way of being with? This day-long presentation will focus on what actually happens with a family visit, and the centrality of the relationship between the intervener and the family. We will consider how we become present, how we attune, how we follow, how we hold. Examples will be offered of the key role played by mindfulness in learning about and supporting families as well as in diagnosis and treatment, and we will be reminded that the mindfulness we so wish for parents must first be found in ourselves.
- Participants will demonstrate a working definition of attunement, and describe the source of their own capacity or deficiency in this area.
- Participants will give one example, from their own work, of listening to a child or a parent with a “third ear.”
- Participants will describe one situation in which they felt helpful with a family, and one in which they realized they were not being helpful. In each case, participants will add why they believe the outcome was as it was.
- Participants will describe one family that came to mind, today, because it is now evident that technique was great, but mindfulness was missing. Participants will add what they might have done differently, and why this difference might have affected outcome.
A brief video clip of Mr. Trout speaking:
MeAIMH Annual Training Conference Schedule of the Day
- 8:15 – 9:00 Registration
- 9:00 – 9:15 Welcome and Introduction
- 9:15 – 10:30 Mindfulness: In Our Lives and in Our Work
- 10:30 – 10:45 Break
- 10:45 – 12:00 Mindfulness: How Do We Get There
- 12:00 – 1:00 Lunch and MeAIMH, Inc. Presentation
- 1:00 – 2:15 Mindfulness, Narrative, and Culture
- 2:15 – 2:30 Break
- 2:30 – 3:30 Mindfulness and Hope: Transforming Trauma, Loss, and Pain
- 3:30 – 4:00 Wrap Up
Download a MeAIMH Annual Training Conference brochure
To register by mail or to share with your friends and colleagues.
MeAIMH Annual Training Conference Registration
Registration is $150.00 for non-members and $135.00 for MeAIMH members and Conference Sponsors. Lunch is included. University of Maine and Psychology CEUs will be available. All participants will receive a certificate for 5.0 contact hours.
NO REFUNDS OF REGISTRATION FEES ARE POSSIBLE AFTER MAY 3rd
Questions to Debra at phone/fax 207-375-8184 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
The Hilton Garden Inn Freeport (207-865-1433) has a limited number of hotel rooms at a rate of $119.00 for May 9th.
Be sure to mention it is for the Infant Mental Health Group and make your reservation by 4-9-18.